The Leipzig Pride Ambassadors 2017 are the Queer Refugees for Pride! This is how they describe themselves:
“”Queer Refugees for Pride” is a self-organized society which was launched by asylum seekers/refugees in 2016.
Lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBT*QI) people are one the most persecuted individuals in the world today. In many countries LGBT*QI people regularly face harassment, arrest, persecution, interrogation, torture and beatings.
These human rights violations propel thousands to flee from their countries. Now without focused attention and assistance from the international humanitarian community, these refugees still being deprived of basic safety or protection. The lucky ones who managed to escape successfully often find that conditions in their countries of transit are not much better than in those they fled from. Most refugees who try to find asylum in Europe are moving to Germany or other West European countries.
LGBT*QI people are often targeted for violence by authorities or civilians whom the authorities cannot or do not want to stop. In some places, the situation is so difficult that refugees fear going outside during the day.
Queer Refugees for Pride supports and advocates to refugees who are seeking protection of persecution based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status. We are engaging in outreach, advocacy and public education on LGBT*QI refugee issues.
The initiative works resolutely to break down systemic barriers to their (ours) safety and shelter. As a trusted leader of LGBT*QI asylum seekers/refugees and their advocates, Queer Refugees for Pride does preparatory work for changes by researching the problems and aiming to transform its expertise into essential advocacy.
Another aim is to create the network of all of the organizations in Germany which work with or for LGBT*QI asylum seekers/refugees problems.
Our truly mission is
- Participation in public demonstrations like Cristopher Street Days in all over Germany to promote the visibility;
- Empowering of LGBT*QI asylum seekers/refugees to become a visible and motivate them to self-organize;
- To promote and protect the right of asylum seekers/refugees regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity;
- To stand against all forms of violence, discrimination and human rights violations against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender*, queer and intersex asylum seekers/refugees;
- To promote the visibility and full participation in social and civil life of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex people;
- To propose cultural and social policies and create debates around LGBT*QI asylum seekers/refugee problems;
- To eliminate LGBT*QI asylum seekers/refugee issues as part of mainstream human rights discourse;
- To do research of situations in LGBT*QI asylum seekers/refugees lifes;
- To generate outreach, advocacy and public advocacy on LGBT*QI asylum seekers/refugee issues;“
More information: http://www.refugee-pride.org/